After the dental implants are placed, you will need to take care of them at home to ensure they heal properly and last a long time. Here are some tips on how to care for your dental implants:
1. Brush and floss your dental implants regularly. Just like your natural teeth, dental implants must be brushed and flossed daily to remove plaque and bacteria. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and opt for a non-abrasive toothpaste to avoid damaging your implants.
2. Avoid smoking. This bad habit can delay healing and increase the risk of implant failure. If you smoke, you should quit before having dental implants placed.
3. Eat a healthy diet. A healthy diet is crucial for one’s overall health, but it is also essential for dental implants. Eating plenty of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains will help keep your gums healthy and promote healing after implant surgery.
4. Avoid hard and sticky foods. Hard and sticky foods can damage or loosen your dental implants from the jawbone. Be careful when eating hard candy, nuts, and other hard foods. Cut up sticky foods like caramel candies before eating them.
5. See your dentist for regular checkups. After your dental implants have healed, you should see your dentist for regular checkups. Your dentist will clean your implants and check for any signs of problems.
Immediate Aftercare Tips for Dental Implants
If you’ve just had dental implants placed, congratulations! You’re on your way to a gorgeous, healthy smile. But the first few days after your procedure are crucial to the success of your implants, so it’s essential to follow your dentist’s aftercare instructions carefully. Here are several tips that can significantly help you through the first few days after your implants are placed:
- Control bleeding by gently biting on the sponges the dentist placed in your mouth.
- Place an ice pack on your face to alleviate any pain. You should do this in 15-minute intervals.
- Make sure you take the prescribed medications, as these can help bring down the swelling and reduce the pain caused by the procedure.
- Take it easy. Avoid any strenuous physical activities for at least a few days or a week after your procedure. This can help your body heal and reduce the risk of complications.
- Keep your mouth clean. Gently brush your teeth and the implant site twice daily with a soft-bristled toothbrush. Avoid using a toothbrush with hard bristles, as this can damage your gums.
Dental Implant Procedure: What You Can Expect
The procedure typically takes about an hour, and you’ll be given local anesthesia to numb the area.
Your dentist will start to make incisions in your gums to expose the bone, then place the implants in the bone. Once the implants are installed in place, your dentist will close the incisions with stitches.
After surgery, you’ll likely need to take it easy for a few days. You may have some swelling and bruising and need to take pain medication as required.
You must take care of your new dental implants. You should ensure that you follow immediate aftercare tips from your dentist. After the site has healed, you should be diligent with your oral hygiene. This means brushing and flossing regularly and visiting your dentist for regular checkups. By doing so, you can help ensure that your implants last for many years to come.
Chestnut Hill Dental offers various services, including dental implants, to all our clients. We serve Chestnut Hill, Newton, Brookline, Brighton, Allston, and nearby towns. Schedule your appointment today to determine if dental implants are the right solution for you!